Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday - Eat, Drink, Shop, RELAX

I am not sure that "relax" is a word that I would use for today. I really wish I had my pedometer because we did A LOT of walking. More than we needed to I am sure but that is what happens when you are in a different city and don't know exactly where you are going. It was still a fun day. When we would come out from the metro we would usually find ourselves in a Place. We never knew quite where in the Place we were or how to get where we wanted to go - even with all of our maps so sometimes we did make some wrong choices. Each Place may have 4-6-8 streets coming out in different directions.

I guess I should explain about Olivia. She is the sister of Kris and she has always wanted to go to Paris but could not swing actually joining us so we brought a picture of her instead. We have a lot more pictures of her than what I have put up on the blog.




We had heard about Hotel du Nord in the Canal Street area, so we went there for breakfast. Unfortunately they do not serve breakfast so we had cafe creme. Luckily I had a protein bar in my purse so we split that 4 ways to tide us over until lunch.






It was a cool building. Note the waiter's t-shirt "greetings from New York"












We wandered around the Canal Street area.







The canal was pretty. We saw boats going through the locks.













Lots of shops which did not open until after 11am so we walked up along the canal and then came back to poke in shops.













This area is probably not one that I would rush out to come back to. Though it did have its unusual quirky shops.



















Lunch at Le Marine.

























My pork was delicious. Another restaurant to put on our fabulous list. We ordered the "formula" thinking that the portions would be smaller - no such luck.





We went across town to the Left Bank.

The Thinker at the Rodin Museum. We just wandered around the gardens looking at his many sculptures.









We walked to the Champ de Mars to see the The Monument to Peace in front of the Eiffel Tower. The glass has words of peace in all the different languages etched in it.






























Wine bread and cheese in the afternoon in Paris - how could we have gotten more cliche. This was on a 2 block street called Rue Cler. Quaint with all kinds of markets, small shops. I wish I had more time to poke around here.
















Many of the cafes have the outdoor seating arranged for people watching.










We went by metro to the St Germaine area where we met Jason, the jazz tour guide, at the Eglise St. Germaine de Pres. He was a very personable young man. He had just gotten married 2 days before so his parents were still in town. They joined our tour group. That added another dimension to the tour. Jason is a musician as well as our tour guide.







He gave us each an mp3 players and we listen to jazz as we walked from one historical jazz joint to another. He told us many stories of the development of jazz in Paris.






























After the tour we went to Au Vieux Comptoir for dinner, which is a restaurant close to home.















3 of us had the best boeuf bourguignon. Wow. Of course it was way more than I could eat.











Les Duc des Lombards is one of the more famous jazz joints in town. It was the last stop of our jazz tour. By the time we came back to it for our concert, it was dark.








We ended the day with a jazz concert. We heard a quartet from Sweden. Very enjoyable. A drink was included in our ticket price. 2 of us had gin/fizz and 2 had gin/tonic.










Le Duc des Lombards was only 2 blocks from our apartment so it was easy to get home.

2 comments:

  1. I notice in the picture of the bread and cheese that in the background there are a lot of bikes, which made me wonder if more people travel by bike there than here. I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See really big smiles on everyone. And Barb, I know how you love to walk. Yes, it would have been interesting to know how many miles everyone was walking in a day. So are we taking lots of pictures?

    ReplyDelete