Jeanne was up at 2 am to get to the lobby for a taxi pick up at 3 am. The taxi was there waiting. She let us know that we did not need to be so early. Salzburg is a small airport and nothing is open.
Sunrise photo from Jeanne, on the plane to Salzburg
Kris got this picture of our sunrise. My window faces the wrong way.
I had some left-overs from dinner last night for breakfast. When Sharon and Kris were ready we went across the street to backWERK. Sharon and Kris had coffee and a pecan pastry, I had a cup of hot chocolate. We came up with a plan for the day. Our cooking class wasn't until 11:30 am so we had some time to do something fun. We started with the Steingasse Stroll. We wandered down a very narrow cobblestoned street that felt very medieval. This is where Salzburg started, but it is not the commercialized part of Old Town.
We then looked for more of the Modern Art. We found a few more pieces.
We had to go across the river to find them. We also wanted to find the door to the dinner we went to on Friday night.
The Connection by Manfred Wakolbinger
Are these 2 more of the lost dwarves?
We found the door to the restaurant where we had the Mozart dinner concert. I guess we were pretty lucky to find it Friday night.
Next art piece
Awilda by Jaume Plensa
Woman in the Rock by Stephen Balkenhol
Gherkins by Edwin Wurm
"Paul Fürst created Mozartkugeln in 1890. It is made by hand and contains a marzipan and pistachio core wrapped in nougat and dipped in dark chocolate so-called "Original Salzburger Mozartkugel". Due to the uniqueness of the ingredients, it quickly became the most popular sweet in the city. Therefore, it catches other people‘s eyes, and imitation follows. Although people can find the Mozartkugeln almost everywhere in Austria, the original can still be found only in Salzburg Old Town, wrapped in a beautiful silver foil with a blue Mozart portrait – and made by Confiserie FÜRST in Salzburg Old Town.
'There are many Mozartkugeln – but only one original' Martin Fürst"
Sharon found the store
Homage to Mozart by Markus Lupertz.
This was the last of the Public Art that we had time to look for. We found 9 of the 13 pieces and the one temporary piece. Plus, there were plenty of art pieces which were not part of the Walk of Modern Art Project.
We got to the Edelweiss Cooking School with time to relax a bit. We were instructed to wash our hands and put on an apron. There were about 20 people in the class. Leonardo was the instructor. Here are the recipes.
The ingredients for making apple strudel.
Ingredients for making the Nockerl. Salzburger Nockerl is a sweet soufflé served as a dessert, a culinary specialty in the Austrian city of Salzburg.
Kris and Sharon at "our" table.
Leonardo showed us what to do and then we were supposed to go back to our tables and do the same thing. Or TRY to do the same thing.
Mixing the apples was the easy part. Everything was prepared, we just added the raisins, sugar, and cinnamon.
Got it into the pan.
Ours had the heart on it. Leonardo or one of his helpers got them all in the ovens.
Then we made a Salzburg Nockerl. It is a traditional Salzburg dessert. The 3 peaks are supposed to represent Gaisberg, Monchsberg and Kapuzinerberg mountains. Again we watched Leonardo make it first.
Whipped the egg whites.
Stiff peaks
Our three stiff peaks do not look like his. There is a little cranberry fruit in under the peaks.
Once they were in the ovens as well, the tables were rearranged and we had lunch of goulash. By the time that we had finished our goulash, the Nockerl was ready. We each got to eat our own "mountain" , then the apple strudel was ready. We ate our own strudel.
I liked the apple strudel better but there is no way that I would ever try to make it myself.
I liked our Nockerl better than the dessert we ate at the Mozart dinner concert.
We took leftover strudel back to the hotel.
On our way back to the hotel we stopped to buy a bus ticket. We had to buy a 24 hour ticket but at least we could get a senior rate.
We had a short rest break before we headed out to Hanger 7.
I get so confused with the bike or pedestrian lanes.
We took the #2 bus around 3 pm. It stopped right behind the hotel. It was a 1/2 hour ride to go to Hanger 7 near the airport to see the Red Bull display of cars, planes, and art.
Hanger 7, you can see the airport tower in back.
They were cleaning the outside of the building. I think that they were getting ready for some event.
Gorgeous view of art and the mountains.
I don't know what the men's restroom was like, but the women's was amazing.
It was free to go in to see all the Red Bull planes and race cars.
The airport in back.
Some cool art sculptures.
Command central. They had a sky walk to get up there. It did not appear to be open to the public. Darn.
They were getting ready to do something with this plane, but we could not get close enough to see what they were doing.
I had fun taking a reflection picture.
We went to the Outdoor Lounge for a drink and to soak in the ambience.
Snow peaked mountains. We finally got a glimpse of them.
We took bus #10 to head back to our hotel.
On the way back we stopped at L'Osteria for a pizza. We had eaten there before.
Capricciosa pizza with ham, mushrooms, artichokes, and olives. It was good. They even cut it so we could each have 2 slices.
We walked back to the hotel.
We got back to the rooms and started packing and getting organized. We paid the hotel bill. We ate more of the strudel but had to throw the rest away. I managed to knock over my wine glass. It broke. Argh. Luckily, it just broke at the stem, so there was not a lot of glass everywhere. But I did report it in the morning when we checked out. We got a message that Jeanne arrived safely in MSP around 10 pm.
I will tack on a bit of Tuesday, because I am not sure when I will blog next. The taxi was waiting for us at 4 am to go to the airport.
We got to the airport and the doors wouldn't open. Weird. Other people came to the same door. Finally someone found a door that was open. We went in and checked in. I am only checked in through to MSP. At the Lufthansa gate. I am glad that Jeanne warned us that we would not need 3 hours at the airport. Even 2 hours was too much. Salzburg was a small airport. We had time to get a little breakfast. I will post again when we get home.





















































































Glad that the cooking class went well and the desserts turned out.
ReplyDeleteHave a good trip home.
Hopefully you saved the dessert recipes!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a nice day!
ReplyDeleteGherkins? "Homage to Mozart"? Certainly some interesting art. I would love to hear the background to some of those pieces. So you took this cooking class to learn how to make apple strudel. It looks pretty complicated and lots of space needed. It certainly would be challenge to make. At least you have access to the recipes if you ever want to try. And that was not your typical bathroom was it at Hanger 7. I'm sure the men's had some intersting version of it. I think I might have enjoyed seeing Hanger 7. Lots of cool stuff. Good looking pizza.
ReplyDelete