Monday, June 30, 2025

Monday, Castle Day

 Breakfast was at 7 am. We needed to be ready to head to the bus by 7:15 am, so we ate in a hurry. 


We got off the bus #78 and then had to walk about 10 minutes to get to the shuttle stop, which would take us up to Mary's Bridge.  The bus was paid for, but the bus pass did not work for the shuttle.  It was 3.5 euros or 5 euros for a round-trip.  We just paid for one way. Nathan had it nicely calculated so that we would be walking mostly downhill most of the day.  Rick Steves had given out bus passes for the day.  We could have taken either #78 or #73.


We got off at the Mary's Bridge (Marienbrücke) stop for the views of Neuschwanstein Castle.  It is supposed to be the best location.  I think that I would agree.  I am glad that we were there early.  Apparently, there can be a long line just to get onto the bridge.





Locks are appearing on the bridge.  

We then walked down to the Neuschwanstein Castle.  We had a timed entry of 9:05 am.  Apparently, they are very strict.  I saw someone try to get in before her time, and the gate wouldn't open, and we were told that you had 5 minutes to get in.  After that, it is Sorry Charlie.  

As we were walking down, we could see the Hohenschwangau Castle.  We would be going there next.
 




They opened the doors at 8:45 am.  We then waited in the courtyard for our number.




Our turn.  No photography inside.  I never understand that.  

I took some pictures of postcards, showing some of the rooms we saw.




Lots of great photo ops once we were out.



A good view of Mary's Bridge.

We stopped for hot chocolate at Schloss Brauhaus after our Neuschwanstein tour on our way to the next tour.  Nathan had planned it so that we were going downhill again. 



I felt sorry for these horses; they were usually carting a bunch of people up the hill.  They looked tired.  

We meandered over to the Hohenschwangau Castle.  
I remembered to take a picture with Nathan on top of the rock.


We had a chance to explore the Hohenschwangau gardens.







Then it was time for our entry.  

There were quite a number of dogs around.  This one looked particularly bored.



Our turn.  

Once again, no photography except one time, looking out of a window.

Nathan downloaded this picture later of a cool swan chandelier.

The allowed picture.

On each of the tours, we had an English audio guide with some interesting information. Personally, my favorite part was looking at Neuschwanstein from Mary's Bridge. But then, history is not my favorite subject.  Nathan wanted a little more history, not just that the table was made from cherry wood.  

It was time for lunch.  By this time, it was getting pretty warm, 87 degrees.  We found a shady spot near the Alpsee.  Being by the lake was pretty and slightly cooler.  Too bad the food was terrible.  I had the vegan patty on a bun, a Radler, and potato salad.  I liked the beer and the potato salad, but the "meat" & bun were terrible.  Nathan had a pretzel and cheese. Very stale pretzel.  But we were hungry, and I needed to sit and rest.  We played Gin while I drank my huge beer.

Nathan had to go place the order and carry all the food back.  He was hoping that they would have trays.






Ah!!

After lunch, we headed over to rent a boat to go on the lake.  Nathan wanted a paddle boat, and I wanted the rowboat.  Nathan was very nice to let me have my way.  Rowing was fun.  Nathan had not been rowing before, but I think that he caught on quickly.  We tried both rowing together, but that didn't work since Nathan is so much stronger than I am.


See?  This is how it is done!

So what am I supposed to do?? Do what with the left?

I got it now. (Note the 2 castles in the background).

We briefly considered swimming with the ducks.

After our workout, we headed back to the bus to go back to Füssen.  Once we got back to Füssen, we stopped for some ice cream


We got back to the hotel and relaxed a bit.  I think that we were hoping that it would cool down a bit.  

Around 4:30 pm, we headed out again.  First for a Hugo.  We got it from a coffee shop.  Delicious.  We played Peek (another card came) while we drank our refreshing drinks.  


Nathan had seen the pastries in the window and decided to try one. 

Apple, cinnamon. I thought that it was a little dry.

It had cooled down slightly, so we decided to find the canopy trail.  We found a fun trail through the woods that eventually connected with the tree trail. It was all part of the Forest Experience Center Ziegelwies.

First came the Lechfall waterfall

The river

Going on the trail.  This part was intentionally through a puddle.  Luckily, we both had sandals on.









An interactive raft to cross the stream.

Maybe a wild cat?? LOL




This was like a boardwalk, but I thought that it was going to be more in the trees. It was pretty.


We found out later that on this treetop bridge, we passed into Austria and back.



Going under what we had just been on.  We followed the trail heading back to town.



Plenty of stops along the way.

As we were getting back into town, we heard music and decided to check it out.  It was the Alpenhorns we had heard.  Fun.  There were a few people around listening.  It was very pretty.  Our own private concert. Alpenhorns or Alphorns are a traditional Alpine wind instrument made of a long piece of wood, usually spruce.  They used to be used for communication, but now mostly for concerts. 

Definitely time for dinner.
We picked Aquila, which was one recommended by Rick Steves.  Several others of our group ended out there. 
I had turkey with mushroom sauce, spaetzle, and vegetables.

Nathan had vegan rolls, rice, cabbage salad, and other veggies.

He had a mango spritz, and I had a limoncello spritz

Very good food.  We headed back to our rooms.  Today was a 9.8-mile day.   

6 comments:

  1. Glad you got to the bridge and the castles and the walks. That was smart to take photos of the postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart to plan as much downhill as possible, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fancy castles! Very scenic settings, of course. Walk looked nice - especially the cool-looking waterfall. The alpine horns look awesome - and they played tunes!! Nice of you to teach Nathan how to row a boat. (:>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you got to do the row boats, perfect form for you! It really looked relaxing on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great planning on Nathan’s part :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see the variety of activities. The evening walk looked very nice.

    ReplyDelete