Thursday, June 26, 2025

Werfen Castle (Part 2)

 When we got to the train station we looked again at the castle on the hill. I thought that it could be a fun thing to do if I didn't have to go UP to get there. We had several hours before we needed to leave to get back to Salzburg.  We tried getting an Uber or taxi, but Werfen is probably too small of a town. So we walked to the Visitor's Center.  She told us that if we walked just a little further there was a parking lot with an elevator up.  So even though there was still more uphill to walk, it was, at least, gradual. 


Cute little town of Werfen.  We did not explore, we walked through. Nathan said that was exploring. There just wasn't much there.




Ah, now we had the name of the castle, Hohenwerfen.


The place to buy tickets for the elevator.  We had to get tickets both for the elevator and for entry into the castle.  We did not get the tickets that would allow us to explore all the rooms of the castle.  We knew that we did not have time for that. 

The elevator was really another funicular.  We were in the funicular with a family with 3 young kids who had obviously never been in a funicular before.  It was fun listening to their reactions.





We got into the main courtyard.  The first stop was a sit-down break.  The tavern was one of the places we could go with our ticket. 



It wasn't much of a tavern but they did have a few essentials.  

 
Note the hangman's noose.

Gift shop, which we did not go in.

We heard that there would be a falconry exhibition at 3:15 pm.  We thought that would be interesting and it would just fit into our schedule.  Going to the area of the show was on our way to the exit.  
We saw these kids trying to walk on stilts. I was telling Nathan about how they were doing it all wrong.  I told him the correct way.  He tried it.  Success!!


Amazing, I could still do it.

Looking down on Werfen

Castle gardens.

We got there just in time.  I thought that they may cancel the show because it was starting to sprinkle, and there was thunder and lightning.  But no, the show must go on.


This woman came out with a bird, then she swung a lure around in circles as the bird dive bombed to catch it. It was fun to watch.





Then a guy came out and talked about all the different raptors that they had.  They let a bunch of them out.  It was very difficult to take pictures because they kept moving!!! Nathan got a nice movie but I can't load it.



    
This was a much different show than what I have seen at the Oregon Zoo and other places. I am glad that we were able to fit this into our schedule.  When the show was over, we walked down to the train station instead of taking the funicular.  

It was a pretty walk, and the woods kept much of the rain off. It started to rain in earnest when we left.



We walked along the river.

Once we got to the train station, we did not have too long to wait for the 4:45 pm train.  We found a bench to sit on in the covered platform.



We had a pleasant ride back to Salzburg.  I did not take many pictures on the ride.

I did take a picture of this building because I remembered it from our last trip to Salzburg.

We walked back to the hotel.
The performing arts building.


This is where the Sound of Music marionette show was to be at 7:30 pm. We got to our rooms in time for a quick shower and change of clothes.  We went downstairs to share a tuna sandwich before the show.

Half of a tuna sandwich and olives.

We are not very creative with our dinner plans.  We did not have much time, and we had liked the tuna sandwich the night before.  We split the sandwich, and I forgot to take a picture until I was nearly done with my half.

I was glad that the theater was very close.  It was only about 3 blocks away (No hills).  It had stopped raining by this time.






What a fun show.  They made quite a few changes in order to simplify the story.  It was only 1 hour and 45 minutes with an intermission.  They added some puppet humor.  Photography was not allowed. With each character, they listed who was the voice and who was the puppeteer.  

They ended the story with the puppets doing the puppet show.  Very clever. When they were taking their bows, they opened up the area so we could see where the puppeteers were.


We did sneak a picture at that time.

What an enjoyable ending to a very full, exhausting, exciting, amazing day.

We got back to the room.  I could only blog part of the day before I crashed.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got up to the castle and got to see the falconry demonstration. The puppet show looked good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The puppet show looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must fall into bed each night.
    I wanted to go to the puppet show but it wasn't playing until the weekend. You can tell me all about it! Outlet store shopping this fall to replace your coat?

    ReplyDelete