Our accommodations have been super. In Florence we stayed in a converted
monastery right in the center of town, but quiet. We had beautiful stone floors and wooden
shutters on the Windows. My view was of
the Academia and I could see paintings in progress. It's a Museum and still an art school as
well.
There are only 26
people on the tour and I have been lucky
enough to have my own room. We have a
large tour bus and we can have two seats to spread out and have a little
personal space. The people on the tour are super and there is lots of silly fun
and teasing.I know most if their names already. The advantages of
a tour is that we can get into museums really fast and don't have to wait in
line. And the art guides have been incredibly informative. I have learned a
ton. We also have free time to do what we want.
Last night six of us went out
to dinner and then went to hear two opera singers and a fabulous pianist
perform romantic opera duets. The venue was a
small English church. We were in the
third row and could hear every sigh and see every bead of sweat. The pianist
was a Dutch gentleman who also played some Liszt and Chopin... seemingly
effortlessly. When the soprano hit a high "C", my ear drum rattled. They also danced together. The tenor looked like a
young, stout Pavarotti. He was a bit of a
ham and relished the applause. When we left,
they shook everyone's hand at the door.
I told the pianist I loved the Chopin and he seemed pleased. It was an amazing evening. Joyce
You should have signed up for a painting lesson at the Academia.
ReplyDeleteNice that your tour group is so small!
ReplyDelete